Wednesday, January 14, 2009

My teacher

There is something humbling about the fact that an 8 year old girl is my language teacher.When your teacher is rolling on the floor laughing at your awful attempts at speaking Khmer you can't help but join in.I feel so blessed I didn't learn the language before I came.In my case it is allowing me to be relational with my host family and allow them to see how helpless I am without there guidance and help.They laugh at my pronunciation and then help me endlessly until I get it right.The 8 year olds name is Joreah and she listens to me then reads it in Khmer then the contagious laughter but then helps me pronounce it right with a big thumbs up and a smile when I get it.She then asks me how to say it in English,unlike myself she gets it right almost instantly.We are both learning but more importantly we are both helping each other ,developing a relationship that cannot be forgotten ,me every time I speak Khmer will think of my teacher and her when she thinks of me will forever remember her joyous laughter .

No comments:

Post a Comment