Monday, January 19, 2009

children are the future

As in any country the future is our children.Nowhere have I seen that more evident than in Cambodia.A huge percentage of the population is below thirty with a large percentage below 20(sorry for no exact stats) but it is easily recognizable.The school system is broken into morning or afternoon not both like the west.This is because of the lack of teachers and schools to accomodate the number of students.The other reason is that some students must help with the family business to provide for there needs and the price of school.Generally the family understands the need for education but the needs of the day sometimes takes priority.

The lack of full schooling for some leads to alot of free time and like most teenagers without proper guidance can lead to numerous bad choices (i.e.drugs alcohol sex).Yesterday I spent time with a teenage drug rehabiltation project run by TASK an organization that runs numerous health and welfare programs for the Phnohm Penh area.This organization provided recreation schooling in anger management etc engkish lessons but more importantly a community that cares for them.It was a blessing to send the day with them and I pray that I will be able to help them in some way in the near future.(Something to pray about for me).

Another organization that is doing amazing things is BBBS(Big brothers big sisters)a program that is similar to the west but brings Christian big brothers and sisters together with little brothers and sisters in a mentoring program that includes bible studies that they do together.There is accountability in that they do the lessons together and also spend funtime with each other .Recently I attended a fun day with some BBBS with my church group(photo above)it was a joy to see the love between not just the pairings but with all the people involved.My lack of vocabulary wasn't a problem this day as the joy of the Lord was on everyones face and everyones heart.I had to shed tears when it was time to pray and all the little heads bowed in prayer......at that moment although I knew of some of their circumstances and living conditions I also knew the Lord's hand and heart was upon them I knew they were blessed.

"Blessed are those........"

They lack nothing that is of worth the Holy Spirit lives within them.

God bless

No comments:

Post a Comment