Thursday, February 5, 2009

Tarp city

I was sleeping last night when the sound of rain hitting the metal roof woke me from my sleep.At first you have to get aware of your surroundings to realize where you are in the dark of night.Once my bearings were set I just listened to the rain grateful for a roof that didn't leak on me.My first thought went to me next door neighbor who's house isnt nearly as structurally sound as mine.He runs a recycling business out of his house where a lot of the neighborhood kids come with there plastic bottles and cans.

I knew as the rain proceeded to pound harder and harder on the roof I was imagining what it must be like in the monsoon season when it rains for weeks on end.Surely his roof leaks everywhere and with a large family where can they go in a small environment to get away from the rain.Even if they could find a spot what about there few possessions getting soaked in the rain.This time of year it was only a small shower where clothes could be dried in the sun of the new day what about the rainy season.




Then my thoughts turned to another community that I had visited during the day.It is one of the re-location sites that the government moves the people to when they are evicted from the city.If you enlarge the pictures(I think you just click on them)you can see that they are nothing more than some tarps and scrap metal and lumber people were able to salvage from someplace.Now it just wasn't my neighbor on my heart but a whole community who would think that my neighbor had it easy and was living quite comfortably.I wish it ended there.My thoughts turned to the communities that are all around me ,around the city and around the country that I pass by everyday ,not knowing what troubles even a little rain can produce especially when the slums are generally in low lying areas.Will the wood be to wet to light for the morning rice????

As the sound of the rain pounded harder on the roof I was left with the thought that I was grateful for the roof over my head but even more grateful that I was kept awake not by the noise of the rain but from God opening up my heart from a deep sleep to think about others less fortunate .

I cry sometimes when I think of the selfishness of my own life .The time that I wasted away ,the money I threw away the life that was thrown away.I am forever thankful that God doesn't waste anything.All our life experiences good and bad will be used to glorify Him when we let Him.In my case He has a lot to work with to turn around for good but as He reveals more about myself to me and I let Him take that and transform it and share those experiences with others it is a process that is so rewarding.When we become more like Him and less like us is there anything of worth in this world that even comes close to that???I think not!!!!!

I share my weaknesses whenever I can to let others know it is okay to be vulnerable that like in 2 Corinthians 12:9 "My grace is sufficient for you,for my power is made perfect in weakness" therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses,so that Christ's power may rest on me.

In our ability to not only share weaknesses but boast of our weaknesses to allow Him to enter into our brokenness and transform us will determine our true strength.

God bless

No comments:

Post a Comment